Dr. Guillermo Alvarez is an expert in laparoscopic Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, commonly called the Gastric Sleeve. He worked in several hospitals in the United States, France, and Mexico during his residency. Dr. Alvarez works with a highly trained team to help his patients achieve a healthy and long life through his skill as a surgeon. It is the only surgery he performs and has international recognition as one of only 11 bariatric surgeons worldwide with the designation of “Master Surgeon in Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery ” by the Surgical Review Corporation, an independent review board.
He is passionate about helping patients fulfill their lifelong desire of attaining better health and a more fulfilling lifestyle. Having performed over 13,000 + gastric sleeve surgeries he has been featured as “Leader in Bariatric Surgery” by Newsweek magazine, Bestselling Author by Amazon, and has also been seen on ABC News. He is the host of The #AskDrA show on his YouTube channel, which has over 3 million views on Gastric Sleeve videos. He has taken the time to shoot over 400 videos about questions he has received on the gastric sleeve surgery.
- More than 12 years of experience
- Over 1,000+ 5 star Reviews from patients around the World
- The Endohospital is a fully equipped surgery center designed and focused on the gastric sleeve surgery.
- Less than 1% complication rate-Having perfected his technique over the years, Dr. Alvarez’s patients do not experience complications often talked about by other patients.
- No urinary catheters or drain tube is needed after surgery here at the Endohospital. Dr. Alvarez’s technique does not require his patients to be catheterized or fit with a drain tube after surgery. You will be up walking to the bathroom within hours after surgery.
- Personal phone number and email for followup or questions. When is the last time a doctor gave you. His personal phone number or email address? Dr. Alvarez is always available to his patients.
- Active International Member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. (ASMBS)
- International Member of the Society of Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Member of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
What advantages does the sleeve have?
- It does not require disconnecting or reconnecting the intestines (no dumping syndrome).
- There is no malabsorption of nutrients, therefore, avoiding anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency, and vitamin deficiency.
- The only surgery that substantially removes the “hunger hormone” Ghrelin.
- It is technically a much simpler operation than the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch.
- Dr. Alvarez and his team have an average operating time of 25 minutes for each procedure.
- There is no foreign body inside of you.
- It does not need adjustments or fills (adjustable band patients must come back for fills).
- Dr. Alvarez’s technique preserves the entrance to the stomach (lower esophageal sphincter) and also preserves the exit of the stomach (pylorus) which prevents dumping syndrome.
Patients with Lap Band complications
If you are a patient with a previous Lap-Band procedure and you’re experiencing problems such as reflux, esophagitis, band erosion, band slippage, or port site infection you may be a candidate for “revision” surgery. This means removing the Lap Band system and performing a VSG (Gastric Sleeve) procedure. Patients in this category are very concerned about regaining their already lost weight and they will greatly benefit from the gastric sleeve procedure. At this point, the gastric sleeve will not only let them maintain their weight but will let them continue losing more weight. Dr. Alvarez, a top Mexico gastric sleeve surgery specialist, provides this effective alternative for patients around the world seeking to continue the weight loss process without the Lap Band.
The term “revision” is applied when one weight loss procedure is converted or transformed into another one. (For example; a Lap-Band system to a mini gastric bypass or to a gastric sleeve.)
Dr. Alvarez is one of the top surgeons performing revisions to the gastric sleeve. Approximately 40% of Dr. Alvarez’s surgeries are revisions from a previous Lap Band to a gastric sleeve.
He also does gastric sleeve revisions and sees great success in these cases.
Your well being and the excellent outcome is our primary goal.
Learn more about gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. Guillermo Alvarez by exploring our website today! Read about his 5 STAR GUARANTEE!